Thursday, March 17, 2011

Someday!!

“Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” — Anonymous

Is it just me or does time seem to speed up when you hit middle age? Years begin to pass like days. When I was much younger I remember how time sort of dragged on. I wondered when school would finally get out so I could play and do the things I wanted to do. Now it seems to fly by me so quickly, leaving me wondering what I did with my time. Sounds depressing, almost disappointing doesn’t it? But instead of limiting us, our lifespan can consistently remind us to be all we were made to be.

Often we’re tempted to play it safe and settle for far less than we were made for. I know so many people whose favorite day of the week is “someday.” Countless people in every stage of life say, “Someday I’m going to go for all that life has to offer.” “When I retire, then I’m going to enjoy life.” “Someday I’m really going to live for God and get my act together. I’ll start loving my family better.” “When I make enough money, then I’m really going to spend more time with my kids.” “Someday when my schedule slows down, then I’m going to get involved at church.” “When I have more time, then I’ll focus on being more spiritual.” Unfortunately these have been some of my excuses too. Now that my children are older I have disappointments and regrets because I fell prey to the “Someday Syndrome”.

Someday. One day. When. If…then. When are we going to wake up and realize this is life and it’s happening now?

This is our life, right here, right now. I have talked with many people and they share with me the idea that is inside them—something they want do to make a difference and it sounds right on… But the next step… Please don’t make the mistake I have made of saying not now or as we shared, “someday.” Someday is now. We’ll always be tempted to resort to the Someday Syndrome, but this mind-set robs us. Someday, when whatever we’re looking for happens, then we’ll start living. When everything settles down someday, then we can enjoy life. I won’t be as stressed or busy. But things won’t settle down. Once we attain what we think we want–more money, a less hectic schedule, the right job–we’ll soon realize that it doesn’t fulfill us, and we’ll begin looking for the next big thing.
God didn’t design us simply to stand by and watch life pass us by as we wonder why we aren’t more fulfilled. God created us to take risks in faith and to conquer the giants that paralyze us with fear, and to live a life filled with passion.

The Someday Syndrome says, “Don’t be ridiculous; be reasonable. Don’t stand out. Don’t take risks; play it safe, and make security and comfort your primary goals in life.” However, God calls us to a life of faith, living every moment all out for Him. God didn’t create us to coast along or swim in a wading pool. Jesus said in John 10:10, “I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of.” He has promised us an abundant life. But the first part of the verse talks about the thief coming to rob kill and destroy… Someday is a robber, a killer and a destroyer that is the enemy. Maybe this seems far removed from where you see yourself right now. Take heart, as difficult and frightening as your life may be right now, God is still there. He cares about you beyond what you can understand or even imagine. Please learn from my mistakes and choose not be stuck in the Someday Syndrome.
Today let’s accept the challenge’s and face our fears with ridiculous faith and experience the life God intended you to live.

For we are God's [own] handiwork (His workmanship), [b]recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live]. Ephesians 2:10 Amplified Bible

Blessings,
Joel & Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment